Thursday, May 7, 2015

The waiting game

After talking to the neighbors and Hubs, I've decided to go ahead and offer the apartment without breakfast at a reduced rate.

Everyone I talked to thinks it's no big deal, and it is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for when I started this project.

I wanted it rented for longer spans rather than short ones, and wanted to get people who were having to work temporarily in the area who wanted something a bit more homelike than a hotel. In my area that means the military post or the hospital.

I offered a reduced rate, something like 1/5 the B&B rate, for a few reasons:

One, I hadn't planned on renting during that time period, so any money is gravy.

Two, it's someone from the hospital so if they give a good review it will provide a toe hold in that arena.

Three, it's a student on a limited budget.

Four, the rent requested covers the cost of the internet and increased utilities and a bit extra.

By the time I pay those costs I'd be charging what I paid for a studio apartment back thirty years ago.

So, probably too low, but it's all I need, and possibly more than they can afford going to school.

I don't know. We'll see.

I made the offer. The ball is in their court now, to accept or decline.

So I'm waiting to hear.

I'm also waiting to get the mower repaired.

It's embarrassing.

I called the neighbor to get the name of the person he said made house calls, and he couldn't remember saying that. And my first reaction is to doubt myself.

Did I mishear him? Did I dream it? What a stup I feel.

(as a funny aside, as I was typing stup, autocorrect first tried to change it to stud and then to stop. I think the universe is trying to tell me to stop being so hard on myself. :)

Anyway, he suggested a couple of mower repair places
(one is closed),
and offered the use of his utility trailer if I needed it to haul the mower to them.
(the one that is closed used to pick up and deliver - of course, of the two, that was the one that closed. Le sigh)

I did some Internet research trying to find the places he suggested and found out that Sears has a home repair service for riding lawn mowers.
YAY!

And they can do it in 10 days.
Oh.. okay.

When I first moved in here I mowed the lawn with just a gas push mower.

I'm a lot stronger and healthier now than I was then. I'm certain I can do it again.

Stronger! Better than before!!
:)

So, I've made the appointment, and now I wait for that too.

I guess that leaves me no choice than to get off my rear, get the supplies I need, and build a new, better, prettier safety door for the B&B staircase!

And no rain or storms in the forecast for today.

So, off I go.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you found someone to do house calls for mower repair. Why didn't your neighbor guy look at it for you? I hope the student takes the apartment--I think they would love it. Be careful if you go out to push mow in the heat and humidity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing he's just not a fix-it sort of person. Nice of him to recommend places and offer his trailer, though. Yes, Mom, I'll be careful. Thanks for being concerned.

      Delete