Monday, May 11, 2015

Random on Mother's Day

Dodging thunderstorms that steal my brain makes for a bad blogger. Sorry I've been absent.

I've been jotting down notes so when the weather cleared I could remember what I wanted to post about. Then I save it as a draft and have cliff notes for the next day.

Might help.

Might just be gibberish or disjointed bits.
No telling, but here goes...

I like to make something special for brunch on sundays, something breakfasty that takes a bit more time or fuss, the sort of thing I don't make everyday (cold cereal, oatmeal, bread & egg).

Yesterday, because it was sunday AND Mother's Day I wanted something extra special.
But I couldn't decide between:

banana walnut pancakes,
asparagus potato frittata,
teff-mesquite flour blueberry scones,
cheese blintzes
or bacon mushroom cheddar omelet

So I did what I normally do under those circumstances.
I tried to do them all. :)

Well, almost.

I didn't make the banana walnut pancakes, mostly because I'd made pancakes the week before.
And the cheese blintzes...didn't have the right kind of filling and
there was another reason...

Oh, yeah. I was dodging thunderstorms that steal my brain.
Not something I wanted to make something picky doing.

Maybe next sunday.

I had the omelet for breakfast,
The scones for lunch, regrettably forgetting to add the blueberries (as nearly always)
so I ate them with prickly pear jelly instead.
And had the frittatta for dinner.



I only got a picture of the scones. Sorry. :)

They were all good. And no bloating after the scones, even though I was using 3 different flours I hadn't tried before. I was pretty sure the gluten free baking flour mix would be okay, but the teff and mesquite flours were new to my system. And they worked really well!

Now I just hope the other 6 scones I didn't eat freeze and reheat well. That's way too much for me for one day. :)

Oh, and I wrote down the recipe, just in case it came out well. So I'll have it again later. YAY!

I spent a goodly part of the day running down my computer battery, keeping an eye on the serious storms passing nearby. There were tornados all around me, but none came close enough to here to have to spend time in the storm room. YAY!

But while I was on the computer, I also caught up on some of my crafty, foodie and eclectic blogs I normally only check once a week or so.

I came across Kitchen Repertoire, and they do something a bit odd. On their main page they have a short listing of their blog posts, with a teaser. Not like most blogs that give a preview of the start of their blog post. This is an actualy teasing ad, and if you click on the blog title, the teaser ad is not part of the actual post.

This week I found, for their post for March 10th, they posted the teaser below. It looks like a great cake to try, and I saved it. But I wanted to keep the teaser, too, so I copied and pasted it below:

-----

BAKE A CAKE FRIDAY CLUB!

Recipe yields 2 nice thick layers. Gluten Free!

Dessert Friday

Breakfast Saturday

Brunch Sunday

Tea Monday

Elevenses Tuesday

Dinner Wednesday

Last Piece Thursday

And on and on we go.

-----
[ reference to: http://www.kitchen-repertoire.com/blog-1/2015/3/10/gluten-free-orange-almond-cake
(recipe saved) ]

Isn't it a great idea? I want a Bake A Cake Friday Club!!!

All the rain we've had this spring has yielded more throw away garden than I can eat. I offered some of the winter curly kale to my neighbors who look after the house and yard for me when I'm gone. His wife sounded interested, especially when I gave her some recipe ideas to use it in. Him? Not so much. I wish I could have taken a picture of his face when I came down his driveway with a gallon bag of cleaned kale in my hand. Trying to be polite and welcoming while looking balefully at the green stuff he knew he'd be forced to eat. Absolutely priceless.

I have an overabundance of swiss chard coming on too. Maybe I'll do a repeat performance, just to get to see that face again. I'm so mean.

The garden's been nice to the flower beds, too. I have purple delphiniums and white & yellow daisies blooming, left by the previous owners. And what I thought was mint? Not. It's lantana. Good thing I didn't pick a bunch of that for tea!

I never knew lantana leaves smelled of mint. Now I know.

This wacky weather steals my brain.
My house is messy and it's mostly because I'm bubble headed and having trouble focusing.

That's what storms do to me. Maybe it's a blood pressure change sort of thing? Dunno. But I don't like it much.

Thunderstorm and tornado watches, warnings

I really appreciate Internet and Interactive real time radar

So far, so good, none have come close enough to be a danger.
Close, too close to ignore them, but no damage here.
Just some rain, some far off dark skies and distant rumbles of thunder.

But good so far.

More in the forecast for the next forseeable. But hey, we can always use the rain.

Gluten free scones
bacon and omelet
More eggs for dinner

I was really tempting fate yesterday with my food choices
But hey...who cares if I stink out the place? The dog can't complain. :)


Okay, it's monday

and for me that means a day to do some picking up and cleaning.

Sheets, floors, trash day...

So, off I go.


2 comments:

  1. I keep watching the radar too--for your area. :-)
    We have a Tor Con 4 here today--I think much south of me, near Ohio, Indiana border, but you know I will be keeping track because...I don't have a storm room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And keeping at least a half tank of gas in the car? I watch your radar, too, and do my share of Michigan worrying. Aren't we a pair? :) Love ya!

      Delete