Friday, May 29, 2015

A bit o' rain

More heavy rain last night, and a bit of thunder.

That phrase, "We can always use the rain"? It's sounding a bit hollow.

The good thing is that the ponding in the front that had begun to recede is back this morning, just in time for the person who will give me an estimate for correcting the drainage issue. It's nice that they'll be able to see in person the problem, instead of relying on my phone photos.

The river that runs through my little town down the hill had crested at 6 inches over flood stage. That was before last night's rain, so I imagine it's up a bit more than that now. The bridge is well above the 100 year flood stage, so I don't expect it will come that high.
But every rainfall adds to that level. 
The ground's saturated; the rain has nowhere to go but into the rivers.

The good news it that the forecasters are saying this should be the last of the heavy storms for at least the next week, giving the ground a chance to recover. Oh, some spotty showers, but nothing like what we've seen here this month.

Last time I saw it rain this much was nearly 10 years ago, when the Belton Reservoir crested.

I don't imagine I helped things much. I managed to get my whole yard mowed before it came in again.
I'd done the edges with the hand mower on Wednesday. And did the rest with the riding mower yesterday.
Just was putting it away when the first rumbles sounded.
Good timing, eh?

It should be good for nearly a week, now.
First time I've been able to get the whole thing caught up since I got back from my little camping trip.

I opted to mow instead of driving to town ahead of the next wave of storms.
I'll have time next week to get the wood I need.
And this way I wasn't nervously watching the sky and creeks while racing back and forth.

Well, I've some cleaning to do, so off I go.





1 comment:

  1. See ya later--if the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise!

    ReplyDelete