Tuesday, May 5, 2015

It's not heavy

I keep talking about building things with wood.
I know it brings to mind huge heavy things.
Even I picture heavy, stout, strong pieces when I think of woodworking.

But the things I've built so far are light and easy to make.

Even the headboard I made was hollow core. I could easily lift and carry with one hand, but it looks solid and heavy.



I'm using pine and that's light. And instead of two by fours I'm using one by twos, or one by threes for my framework. And then the lightest, thinnest plywood that will work for the job; 1/2-inch for the top of my camper bunk, 1/4-inch for my headboard and now for the safety stairs door.

It should be strong yet light enough and easily managed, even by such a lightweight as I am. :)

Today it's supposed to rain, so it will be a good day to do woodworking.

Yesterday I broke the mower.
I think.
I need to have a repair person look at it.
It's making a strange sound when I activate the mower blade, and that's a very bad place to have a strange sound, so I'm going to get it checked out before I mow any more.

It's supposed to rain for at least the next four days, so I wouldn't be able to mow anyway. The neighbor that looked after the place while I was on my mini camping trip said he knows someone that will fix mowers and does house calls. Sounds perfect to me!

Yesterday, too, I got confirmation that my first B&B guest will be arriving in the middle of the month.

So, I have two weeks to finish up making things right in there, building, cleaning and decorating, and then, well, just enjoy it, I guess.

I like to cook, and am an early riser, so breakfast will be no problem. And since I know the person staying, it makes it almost a nice long visit instead of a job.

Fingers crossed it all goes well, and she leaves a nice review. That's so important to getting strangers to trust a new B&B, like me.

Thanks for the sleep, or lack of sleep, suggestions, J! I have to go to town tomorrow or Wednesday, and will pick some of that melatonin up. It's certainly worth a try to calm my busy brain so I can sleep.

Well, I've been saying I was going to try to put in pictures and I guess now's the trial...Yay! It worked!

Maybe someone knows what kind of flower this is?

Ignore the crocus leaves. They bloomed next to these mystery flowers.

Anyone know what they were?
They sure were pretty. I'd like to have them again next year. :)



I haven't heard from Wife, yet, about the pattern she won. I'm sure it's my fault. I can't figure out how to reach her by email or on Ravelry so she can claim her free pattern. I guess that means the ball is in her court. 

Wife? If you're reading this, please forgive me, and contact me on Ravelry? User name there is mrsmouse. Thanks!

Well, this has been a long one. Fun to see the pictures there. Now I know how easy it is, maybe I can start sharing more garden and trip pics. :)

Until then, I'd best get moving, so off I go.



1 comment:


  1. By the looks of the leaves, I think that woodland flower is called Wild Geranium or Gentian Violet? We have them all over our woods. The Mealtonin was "prescribed" to me my my Doc--all natural and no sleepy after effects in the morning. Also, Karen asked me if you drink apple cider vinegar for your Lupus? 2 tsp. in glass of water. "Prescribed" to her by a holistic massage therapist. Karen says it really helps with the leg pain AND gives her extra energy. You can drink a couple of glasses a day.

    Glad you are a smart worker and not ruining your back with heavy lifting. I don't know 'nuttin about rider mowers. Maybe all it needs is to grease the mechanism? Glad you have a guy who makes house calls--I can just see you driving that thing down the side of the road to a repair shop, LOL

    ReplyDelete