Saturday, April 25, 2015

I think I'm done camping in April, maybe

I've tried twice camping in April and both times I've fought high winds.

I thought camping in my little camper would be better than a tent if it was windy, and it is, but I'm not sure it's enough better for me to want to do this any more, at least with a dog along.

I have to get out in the high winds, braving dust and sand blasting for her to take care of her 'business'. We both have dust in our ears, and in our hair, that no amount of washing or brushing will take care of for long.

As soon as the camper door opens, we're right back where we were as if we hadn't bathed.

I know that this dusty high wind is probably a southern Spring thing. It's warm enough for camping, but the winds, oh the winds.

I think I'll try one more time, next year, and head north. Where maybe the high winds won't go. But it will be colder. So...

Before then I'm thinking I'll add a bit of insulation to my little Gnome Home, and do some more permanent type building inside it so things don't shift so bad on bumpy roads.

And while I'm at it, I'll explore options for being able to stand up, at least in one part of the roof if not all the way. Something along the lines of a pop-up tent would be nice, so I could have it down to tow, and up when camped during the day, and down during chilly nights or high wind storms.

I also want to add a pop up table and attach it to the door. That will make fixing coffee in the morning or meals during bad weather so much nicer!

Well, that's the plan.

And you know they say the third time's the charm.

May it be so. :)

For now, I'm holed up in my bitty camper, avoiding the screaming winds, and knitting.

Tomorrow I drive to my last campsite. It had poor Internet connectivity last time. Fingers crossed it was a fluke.

For now, I'll try to post this.

Thinking about you, J. You be safe, too, K?  You aren't the only one who worries. HUGS


2 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh--you remind me of a pioneer woman on her own!!! I would be kind of scared with the wind jiggling the camper and probably fear it would tip over. I'd have to keep it hooked up to the trailer hitch just to reassure myself that it had more stability!!! I am doing much better Sweet Heart. Fix me up with some sort of crochet project, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure it could sail safely down the road at 67mph, the winds weren't as hard as that, and it's low profile with 4 points of contact: front stabilizer, rear stabilizer and two wheels. It was perfectly safe. But hey, I like pioneer woman. Tee Hee! File on it's way to you! Thanks for testing for me!!! HUGS

      Delete