Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Hello summer

No slow transition from Spring to Summer for Texas. Temps are inching into the high 80's and 90's here. Normal temperatures, after months and months of odd weather.

Every place I've ever lived has one season I don't care for. Here it's summer.

I don't really mind the heat if it's a dry heat. But hot and humid make me feel ornery, sticky, easily tired.

I dislike the restrictions to activities. I have a few hours in the early morning when I'm comfortable doing anything outside, and that's pretty much it, and I have to fight the mosquitoes for that much.

I'm an early riser so I really can't wait to do anything in the evenings. It takes until 9 or 10 pm before it drops back into the low 80's here, sometimes not even until early morning again.

Knowing that, I'd planned on getting out of Dodge before Summer got here.

... Life had other plans for me this year.

And darned if I'm not having trouble being a good sport about it.

But I am trying.

My garden is pretty well finished for this year. Time to compost the remaining greens and get things set up to decompose over the hot summer, and prep a second bed for this coming Fall.

I don't use bug powder on my vegetables, and that's the only way I've found to grow food here in Summer. Takes all the fun out of it.

So I garden from October to May instead, and set black plastic over the raised beds to keep the weeds from sprouting until Fall.

I've some young onions to pull, slice and freeze sometime this week.

And the cucumbers to water, just in case it makes it.
Thought I'd planted green beans.
Must not have been paying very much attention that day, because they are definitely cucumber vines. :)

The back yard needs mowing again already. I'll do that on Friday.

Today I'll work inside on desk work in the morning, and then after the sun gives me some shade in the front, I'll drag out the hose and wash my car and camper. Maybe pull out the area rugs and shampoo them, too, and lay them out in the driveway to dry.

Still want to go to town to get wood. Maybe I can do that tomorrow.

I want to take some time today and go through the pictures on my phone and find the camping photos so I can share them with you. I got some lovely ones. I haven't made a picture post for a little while now. I guess I need to do that.

So, a new day. Off I go.

1 comment: