Thursday, November 5, 2015

Read any good books lately?

It's raining, dark and gloomy today.
Rain's forecast for the next three days.

And I'm glad for that.

I have lots of inside things to do;
many have been on the To Do list since I got back from my camping trips.
Lots of sorting, cleaning, designing, crocheting and knitting to do.
And when those are all done, there are saved episodes of Castle to watch.

But my favorite thing to do on rainy dark gloomy days is to curl up in my favorite chair with a good book.

5. Books

I'm grateful for books because they keep me company, entertain and enlighten me.
They've been my silent, patient teachers since I learned to read at age four.
I've learned more from reading books about how to be a good person than I ever learned from my parents.
And still today, I continue to learn life lessons from the books I read, both nonfiction and fiction.

I've just finished a book I picked up in Ohio in my travels about Dr. Elton Lehman, Country Doctor of the Year. It's called

House Calls and Hitching Posts, stories from Dr. Lehman's career among the Amish, 
as told to DORCAS SHARP HOOVER.

Available from www.GoodBks.com, and Evergreen Park RV.
It cost me $11.95 and was very very enjoyable.
It taught me quite a bit about the Amish mindset and beliefs,
and gave me lots to contemplate in my own life. The sign of a good book, in my mind.

How about you? What do books mean to you? Read any good ones lately? Ones that made you take a step back and think about how you live your life? Or just ones that made you think? Those are my favorites.

I wouldn't be the person I am today without books; they've had a very good influence over the years.

1 comment:

  1. I'm working on a book right now--a history book--about my family. It has a few surprises--quite a few. Someday, maybe I will have the time to read a "real" book. Haven't done that in months and months.

    ReplyDelete